Theoretical Base of Education - Philosophical and Sociological
The major objective of Theoretical Base of Education is to build up the efficiency of student teachers to start their career by applying the philosophical and sociological theories and principles. The following specific objectives are formulated for the study of this subject:
The student teachers:
1. Realize the scope of educational philosophy and how it determines the entire system of education
2. Apply, during curriculum transactions, the major philosophical systems and the educational ideas of great thinkers in the world.
3. Study how education can bring in desired social changes
4. Understand the significance of education for conscientization of people, and
5. Plan their teaching to develop students’ skill to work in future for the welfare of the society and social cohesion by achieving economic stability and creating new knowledge.
Unit-I. Relationship between Philosophy and Education
1. Scope of educational philosophy
2. How philosophy determines the education system.
Unit-II Major Philosophical Systems
1. Views of Aristotle, Socrates, Plato, Rousseau, Buddhists, Dewey, Tagore,
2. Features and educational implications of Idealism, Realism, Naturalism,
Pragmatism and Humanism
Unit–III Contributions to Education by Great Thinkers
Pestalozzi, Herbert, Froebel, Rousseau, Comenius, Montessori, Dewey, Paulo, Fraire, Mahatma Gandhi
Unit–IV Relationship between Education and Society
1. Interactive role of education and society.
2. Factors that threaten the relationship
3. Ways of improving the relationship
Unit–V Education and Social Change
1. Nature of Indian society
2. Factors influencing social change
3. Major changes occurred in the Indian society
4. How social changes take place
5. Role of education in promoting desired social change
1. Role of education for conscientization of people
2. Areas where conscientization is needed.
Unit-VII Education and Welfare of the Society
1. Education for peace and coexistence
2. Education for economic stability
3. Education an instrument for Intellectual Property and inventions and discoveries for the welfare of the society